Keep your skills up to date
This course and curriculum are developed by MHFA Australia and delivered by MHFA Accredited Instructors.
Our understanding of mental health is constantly evolving. Stay on top of the ever-changing practices in this important field with this half-day refresher course. genU Training offers this refresher course to anyone accredited in Mental Health First Aid within the past three (3) years.
Developing mental health problems covered are:
- Anxiety problems
- Substance use problems
Mental health crisis situations covered are:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Non-suicidal self-injury (sometimes called deliberate self-harm)
- Panic attacks
- Traumatic events
- Severe effects of drug or alcohol use
- Severe psychotic states
- Aggressive behaviours
Proven to work, this course has been widely evaluated in research trials conducted by MHFA Australia and independent organisations.
These evaluations consistently show that participants who complete the course have:
- Improved knowledge of mental illnesses and their treatments
- Knowledge of appropriate first aid strategies
- Confidence in providing first aid to individuals with mental illness, benefits which are maintained over time.
Some studies have also shown improved mental health in those who attend the training, decreases in stigmatising attitudes and increases in the amount and type of support provided to others.
We are well connected with industry and will organise work placement for you that will satisfy the learning outcomes of your qualification. If the placement option we source is not suitable, you are welcome to source your own placement opportunity and we will assess if the learning outcomes will be met. Placement is unpaid.
If you are employed and wish to complete your placement hours with your current employer, your workplace will need to be assessed to ensure the learning outcomes will be met.
When you study with genU Training, we want you to succeed. Entry requirements allow us to make sure that you have the right pre-existing knowledge and skills to achieve your chosen course. You will need to provide evidence that you meet the requirements listed in this section.
- must be 18 years of age and over
- must have previously been accredited in Mental Health First Aid within the past three (3) years.
During your study, you will need to meet specific requirements that are necessary for you to complete your course work and be successful:
- Access to digital technologies (e.g. laptop, desktop, tablet-computer and/or smartphone) with basic digital literacy skills
- Students will need to demonstrate that they have the appropriate language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) skills
- Effective communication, documentation and research skills.
This course contains content, concepts and scenarios that some individuals may find distressing. Please consider your personal resilience and any potential emotional triggers when participating in this course and in any future employment in this field.
- Ensuring you have someone to talk to about the content if you need to
- Contact phone numbers for counselling and crisis services
- Information about what to do if you begin to feel upset during the training.
Fees – Victoria
Victorian residents can access this course via our full fee for service rate.
|Fee For Service
|$AUD 175.00 (incl. GST)
There may also be other charges such as material or amenities fees. A genU Training staff member will assist you in determining your course fees and a statement of fees detailing all course charges will be provided prior to enrolment.
For full details of genU Training’s course fees please view our Fees & Charges page.
genU Training offer Mental Health First Aid Refresher, in the following format:
On-campus (half day – 4 hours) – Study face to face (in a classroom setting)
Virtual Training Room (day) – Study in real time online with instructor-led sessions via video conferencing.
2 morning sessions over 2 days (2.5 hours per session 9:30am – 12:00pm AEST/AEDT) or
2 afternoon sessions over 2 days (2.5 hours per session 1:00pm – 3:30pm AEST/AEDT)
Days of delivery may vary. Please contact our customer enquiries team for further information on specific dates.
Please select your preferred course location and date from the list below.
Click the Apply button and complete the online application. Once we receive your application, our Customer Enquiries Team will contact you to progress your application and advise of next steps. Find out more about the application process.
If you need support to complete your application, we are happy to help. Simply call 1300 582 687 or contact us online.
On-campus (day) or Online delivery (day) via virtual training room
On-campus (half day - 4 hours) or Virtual (two consecutive days x 2.5 hours per session)