|Course Length||2 days (12 hours total)|
|Study Mode||On-campus (day)|
Be a mental illness first responder
Quality, early intervention is critical to effectively combat mental illness. This genU Training course is designed to give you the skills to provide initial support for people developing mental illness or undergoing a mental health crisis.
The 12-hour Mental Health First Aid course teaches adults (18 years and over) how to provide initial support to adults who are developing a mental illness or experiencing a mental health crisis. Over 2 days you’ll learn about the signs and symptoms of common and disabling mental health problems, how to provide initial help, where and how to get professional help, what sort of help has been shown by research to be effective, and how to provide first aid in a crisis situation.
Developing mental health problems covered are:
- Anxiety problems
- Substance use problems
Mental health crisis situations covered are:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Non-suicidal self-injury (sometimes called deliberate self-harm)
- Panic attacks
- Traumatic events
- Severe effects of drug or alcohol use
- Severe psychotic states
- Aggressive behaviours
Proven to work, this course has been widely evaluated in research trials conducted by MHFA Australia and independent organisations.
These evaluations consistently show that participants who complete the course have:
- Improved knowledge of mental illnesses and their treatments
- Knowledge of appropriate first aid strategies
- Confidence in providing first aid to individuals with mental illness, benefits which are maintained over time.
Some studies have also shown improved mental health in those who attend the training, decreases in stigmatising attitudes and increases in the amount and type of support provided to others.
When you study with genU Training, we want you to succeed. Entry requirements allow us to make sure that you have the right pre-existing knowledge and skills to achieve your chosen course. You will need to provide evidence that you meet the requirements listed in this section.
- must be 18 years of age and over
During your study, you will need to meet specific requirements that are necessary for you to complete your course work and be successful:
- Access to digital technologies (e.g. laptop, desktop, tablet-computer and/or smartphone) with basic digital literacy skills
- Students will need to demonstrate that they have the appropriate language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) skills
- Effective communication, documentation and research skills
This course contains content, concepts and scenarios that some individuals may find distressing. Please consider your personal resilience and any potential emotional triggers when participating in this course and in any future employment in this field.
- Ensuring you have someone to talk to about the content if you need to
- Contact phone numbers for counselling and crisis services
- Information about what to do if you begin to feel upset during the training.
Victorian residents can access this course via our full fee for service rate.
|Fee For Service|
|$AUD 258.50 (incl. GST)|
Includes a copy of the Standard MHFA manual (yours to keep) and a certificate of completion.
NB: genU Training advises as of 1st July 2021, the Fee For Service rate for this course will increase to $AUD 297.50 (incl. GST)
There may also be other charges such as material or amenities fees. A genU Training staff member will assist you in determining your course fees and a statement of fees detailing all course charges will be provided prior to enrolment.
For full details of genU Training’s course fees please view our Fees & Charges page.
genU Training offer Mental Health First Aid, in the following format:
On-campus (day) – Study face to face (in a classroom setting)
- 2 consecutive days (9am – 5pm); or
- 2 days over 2 weeks (9am – 5pm)
Days of delivery may vary. Please contact our customer enquiries team for further information on specific dates.
Not the course you were looking for?
We understand that this may not be the course for you.
So take a look at the other industry leading courses that we have on offer across a wide range of industries all across Australia.View other Mental Health courses