|Course Length||2 days (12 hours total)|
|Study Mode||On-campus (day)|
Be a mental illness first responder
Quality, early intervention is critical to effectively combat mental illness. This genU Training course is designed to give you the skills to provide initial support for people developing mental illness or undergoing a mental health crisis.
This two day course teaches adults how to provide Mental Health First Aid to older people (65+)
Mental health issues in older people (65+) are often under-identified by health-care professionals and by older people themselves. Delays in recognition or treatment can result in a worse outcome for the older person, as well as unnecessary distress for those involved.
Mental Health areas covered:
- Depression and anxiety
- Confusion and dementia
Mental Health crises covered:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Non-suicidal self-injury (sometimes called deliberate self-harm)
- Panic attacks
- Unsafe and challenging behaviours due to confusion
When you study with genU Training, we want you to succeed. Entry requirements allow us to make sure that you have the right pre-existing knowledge and skills to achieve your chosen course. You will need to provide evidence that you meet the requirements listed in this section.
- must be 18 years of age and over
During your study, you will need to meet specific requirements that are necessary for you to complete your course work and be successful:
- Access to digital technologies (e.g. laptop, desktop, tablet-computer and/or smartphone) with basic digital literacy skills
- Students will need to demonstrate that they have the appropriate language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) skills
- Effective communication, documentation and research skills
This course contains content, concepts and scenarios that some individuals may find distressing. Please consider your personal resilience and any potential emotional triggers when participating in this course and in any future employment in this field.
- Ensuring you have someone to talk to about the content if you need to
- Contact phone numbers for counselling and crisis services
- Information about what to do if you begin to feel upset during the training.
Victorian residents can access this course via our full fee for service rate.
|Fee For Service|
|$AUD 297.50 (incl. GST)|
There may also be other charges such as material or amenities fees. A genU Training staff member will assist you in determining your course fees and a statement of fees detailing all course charges will be provided prior to enrolment.
For full details of genU Training’s course fees please view our Fees & Charges page.
genU Training offer Mental Health First Aid, in the following format:
On-campus (day) – Study face to face (in a classroom setting)
- 2 consecutive days (9am – 5pm); or
- 2 days over 2 weeks (9am – 5pm)
Not the course you were looking for?
We understand that this may not be the course for you.
So take a look at the other industry leading courses that we have on offer across a wide range of industries all across Australia.View other Short Courses courses